Hainanese Chicken

Prior to doing the video, I had no idea how I was going to execute this dish but after watching two videos on Youtube and getting inspired (Adam Liaw, you the best!) I hopped on my feet, set-up what was needed, prepared the mise en place and crossed my fingers it was gonna taste as close to what the dish's soul essence was. And I think it did. 

With a handful of garlic and ginger (since most of the recipe made use of that a lot), I began my home cooking adventure.

Now, that looks like a fancy work of art on a plate, but trust me... most or all of the ingredients have come from the "Quarantine Fridge", meaning whatever was available at the time. Fortunately, I found some chicken leg quarters sitting around, and I've made it a habit to stock up on the basics, like onions, garlic, ginger (and loads of it too) since time at the market was very limited. 

With hunger as inspiration (plus a video or two) and a cookware piece that I wasn't able to cook with yet, I set out on the adventure.

For this recipe, I used a 10" Deep Dish Skillet with Utility Rack from our partners in Saladmaster, and that's this beauty right here.

Now, on to the recipe.

You may opt for other chicken parts, but, again, I used 4 pieces, chicken leg quarters for this recipe, so that's a combination of thigh and leg, and I personally love this part since it's juicy and flavorful (cooked right), not to mention cheaper and budget friendly
3 ½ cups of rice
4 cups of chicken stock - 3 ½ for rice + ½ more for condiments/dipping sauces
Ginger, 5 tbsp
Garlic, 8 cloves
Red onion, 2 tbsp
Spring onions, 3 tbsp
Chili pepper, 1 tbsp
Soy sauce
Sesame Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Here's a video on how I cooked it here

Since the cookware I used had a utility rack, I cooked rice at the bottom and the quarters were put on top, which steamed the meat; its drippings to the grains below.

The taste of the rice closely reminds me of arroz caldo - a Pinoy favorite. A rice gruel, or a porridge, heavily infused with ginger, topped with garlic, and also has chicken in it... sometimes with a boiled egg too! It's a warm, comforting recipe... which I'll probably make soon.


Try this home recipe out, though!

Comments